The most premium East African Shea
Nilotica Organic is the most premium unrefined cold-pressed shea butter from northern Uganda.
What Is Shea Butter? 20 Reasons to Add It to Your Routine
What is it?
Shea butter is fat that’s extracted from the nuts of the shea tree. It’s solid at warm temperatures and has an off-white or ivory color. Shea trees are native to West and East Africa, and most shea butter still comes from that region.
Shea butter has been used as a cosmetic ingredient for centuries. Its high concentration of vitamins and fatty acids — combined with its easy-to-spread consistency — make it a great product for smoothing, soothing, and conditioning your skin.
Curious? Here are 20 reasons to add it to your routine, how to use it, and more.
1. It’s safe for all skin types
2. It’s moisturizing
3. It won’t make your skin oily
4. It’s anti-inflammatory
5. It’s antioxidant
6. It’s antibacterial
7. It’s antifungal
8. It may help prevent acne
9. It helps boost collagen production
10. It helps promote cell regeneration
11. It may help reduce the appearance of stretch marks and scarring
12. It may help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
13. It offers added sun protection
14. It may help prevent hair breakage
15. It may help treat dandruff
16. It may help soothe conditions like eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis
17. It may help soothe sunburn and other skin burns
18. It may help soothe insect bites
19. It can help promote wound healing
20. It may help relieve arthritis pain
If you want to get the most out of your shea butter, purchase it in its raw and unrefined form. The more that shea butter is processed, the more its amazing, all-natural properties are diluted.
For this reason, shea butter is classified by a grading system from A to F, with grade A being the purest form of shea butter you can buy.
Buying shea butter that’s raw and unrefined also helps more of your purchase count toward supporting the communities that harvest and grow shea nuts.
Here is a product to try that support the East African (Uganda) communities producing most of the world’s shea tree nut supply:
Queen of Shea is a social enterprise on a mission to create a more sustainable and equitable future. Our women-led cooperatives in East Africa produce, ingredients rooted in tradition. When you choose our handcrafted products, you join us in supporting education, maternal care, and environmental sustainability.
The bottom line
Shea butter is packed with essential nutrients that can enhance your natural complexion and help you glow from the inside out.
Although it’s considered safe for every skin type, many products containing shea butter have other ingredients mixed in.
If you experience any side effects that you suspect are connected to a shea butter product, discontinue use and see a doctor or other healthcare provider. They can help determine what’s causing your symptoms and advise you on any next steps.